Music Theory Resources
- Two-part form, divided by double bars;
- Tonal pattern: first part begins in tonic and ends in dominant; second part begins in dominant and returns to tonic. Variant: first part may not modulate, and second part begins on (not in) dominant and ends in tonic.
- Thematic material: similarity of thematic material between parts.
- Cadences: can have endings with the following: Rhyming termination (similar cadences); Echo (repetition of last few bars).
Two basic types of binary form:
||: A :||||: A' :||
||: A :||: A' :|| or ||: A :||: B :||
Major key: I V V I I V V I
Minor key: i III III i i III III i
- 1. Symmetrical; both parts equal.
- 2. Asymmetrical: unequal parts (second usually longer).
||: A :||: B A' :||
Major key: I V V I (the A section modulates)
Minor key: i III III i
Major key: I V I (the A section does not modulate)
Minor key: i III i